May 22, 2021
The One With the Healthy Smash Cake Recipe
Many parents prefer not to give their baby sugar on their 1st Birthday. We've created the perfect light & fluffy, healthy smash cake with no butter, no oil and no sugar! This simple recipe has 4 ingredients, that of which you can buy farm-fresh or organic.
4-Layer Smash Cake:
- Egg Whites (8) Egg whites are the foundation of this light and fluffy angel cake. Be sure no yolks are in the mix. Try to get local organic eggs for your cake.
- Cake Flour (2/3 cup) - Cake flour has a lower protein content than all-purpose flour, so it creates more tender baked goods. You want your angel food cake mix to be light and fluffy and this will help you get there. Find it at your local grocery store in the baking isle, or get it on amazon here.
- Cream of Tartar (1/2 tsp) - This acidic powder helps to stabilize egg whites so they stay light & fluffy as they bake. Find it at your local grocery store in the spices isle.
- Vanilla Extract (1/2 tbs) - Optional: This will add a light flavor to your cake. Feel free to skip this ingredient if you would prefer to keep it super simple!
- Whole Milk Greek Yogurt (5 cups) - Yogurt is the best healthy "frosting" for this cake that leads to wonderful messiness for photos. Try your baby's favorite flavor for an extra treat & a guarantee they will be reaching for the cake.
- Fresh Berries - Optional: Add your baby's favorite fresh berries on top for that customized touch.
- Preheat over to 325F.
- Prepare four 6-inch round pans by lining the bottom with parchment paper. Do NOT use a non-stick pan and do NOT grease the pan. See which pans we used here.
- Using a hand mixer, combine egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla. For about 4 minuets, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until the egg whites form soft, fluffy peaks.
- Sift or sprinkle the cake flour over the top of the egg whites. Use a whisk or spatula to gently fold the flour in, being careful not to compress the fluffy egg whites.
- Evenly pour the batter into the pans. Gently smooth the top with your spatula.
- Bake until cake is set and the top is light golden brown, about 16-18 minuets.
- Remove cake-layers from oven and place each pan upside down on cooling racks. Allow layers to cool upside down for at least 1 hour.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake to gently release it from the pan.
- Take the first layer and evenly spread a 1/4" inch of yogurt across the top, allowing yogurt to spill over the edge. This will be an important step for the "naked" cake look. Then, repeat this step for all four layers.
- Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve and have berries prepped to top if you want! Think about making or ordering a cake topper in advance, considering you won't be using candles.
- Do not use a pan labeled as non-stick and do not grease the pan. An angel food cake "climbs" on itself up the pan to gain that fluffy, airy look. The cake needs to stick to the sides of the pan to climb higher. After cooling your cake upside down for at least 1 hour, you can easily run a knife around the edges to get your cake out if it didn't naturally come out.
- Line the bottom of your regular pan with parchment paper. This will ensure your cake doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan so you have clean tops of each layer.
- You can make these cake-layers up to 3 days in advance by wrapping baked, cooled cake in plastic wrap and storing in the fridge.
- Try your baby's favorite flavor of Greek yogurt to add some flavor and color. Be sure to wait to frost the cake until right before serving.
- You can cut the recipe in half to make four mini cupcakes if your baby has little friends coming! Top with their favorite berries!
* Allergy Note: This recipe contains dairy, eggs and wheat. Please follow medical guidance when introducing new foods to your baby and always talk to your child's pediatrician if you have any questions or concerns regarding food allergies and food sensitivities.If you have any questions or tips & tricks yourself, leave them in the comments so our community can learn more! Congratulations on baby's 1st year! And, if you decide to make this cake or one like it, we applaud you for celebrating your baby while remaining healthy. It matters so much because they matter so much!
With our love,
The Kambia Kitchen